WELCOME TO THE
Posted by Joel Keefer
on May 20, 2016
Photo L-R Yvonne Tovell, Irina Rey, Lisa Yaggie, Irina's Host Moms Liz Bowers and Heidi Morgenstern
Irina is pretty much like any other 15 year. She loves to shop, loves hanging out with her friends, and is looking forward to going to prom at Maple Grove High School. Irina, who is from Bulle, Switzerland, gave her year-end presentation to the club this day.
Entitled "My Life in Switzerland", Irina spoke about her mom and dad, as well as her brother. Her mom works as an accountant, while her father works in IT.
Because of where Bulle is located, Irina impressed the club by saying that she goes to Paris, France on weekend trips for shopping. Irina, who speaks French, also explained that Italian, German and the rarely spoken Romansh are Switzerland's national languages.
As part of her presentation, Irina showed awe inspiring photos taken of the mountains close by her home, as well as an aerial view and street levels views of Bulle. Irina also presented pictures of some of the things Switzerland is well-known for; chocolate, cheese and wine.
Irina also wowed the gathered members by saying that she will be done with school this year, but quickly explained that she can continue her studies and then perhaps go on to University. She admitted that at 15 she still hasn't quite figured out what she plans to do later on in life.
The club expressed how they will miss Irina while wishing her the best of luck!
Posted by Joel Keefer
on May 10, 2016
Mark Baldwin introduced speaker Susan Evans. Susan is a retired English teacher, ovarian cancer survivor (now in remission), and author of the book "Don't Write the Obituary Yet!", which highlights Susan's journey with her husband in battling cancer. Susan is also a member and Past-President of the Bradford, PA Rotary Club. She came to tell her story, which she managed to summarize in the time she was allotted.
Sales of Susan's book have raised over $90,000, and are being donated to The Pittsburgh Foundation as part of the Evans-Krivak Gynecological Cancer Research Fund. "Krivak" is Dr. Thomas Krivak, a gynecologic oncologist who was on call when Susan first came to Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC in Oakland, PA. Since their first encounter, Dr. Krivak has moved to Allegheny Health Network. When he moved to the network, he lost his cancer research funding, which is why proceeds from book sales are going into Evans-Krivak Gynecological Cancer Research Fund.
For more information on the fund, visit it online.
PHOTO: From left are Mark Baldwin, Susan Evans, Tim Edborg
PHOTO FROM L-R Gary Padak, Tina Scott, Chris Anderson & Sue Jones.
Rotarian Sue Jones, prior to introducing Tina Scott, MLIS - Executive Director, James Prendergast Library Association, recognized current and former Library Board Members who are also members of the Rotary Club. She the introduced Tina, who spoke on the libraries Funding Initiative.
Over the past several years, the Cost of Living Index compared to the level of funding provided by the City of Jamestown has widened, as the level of funding from the city has decreased, and could possibly be zeroed out in 2017.
The library relies of a combination of public and private funding to operate. However, Scott said this funding model is not stable or sustainable.
In 2015, over 182,000 people came to the library to use their public computers, to attend library programs, or simply to check out a book or DVD. Since 2015, retirement payments, building maintenance, utilities and more have also increased significantly.
The Library Board, to help combat this issue, will be asking the public for community-based funding, which would generate $850,000 or 65% of its total proposed 2017 budget. The other 35% will come from endowment income, fund raising and library fees.
This proposed plan will make the library strong, Scott feels, and for a home in the Jamestown School District assessed at $50,000, community-based funding would increase taxes only $57.50 a year. If the plan is not approved, the library will be forced to sell off artwork, cut hours further, cut materials, and take other measures.
If funding is approved, the library could increase hours, provide more classes, replace aging computers, and buy more books!
The vote on community-based funding will take place Tuesday, June 7th. Polls Open at the Library from Noon to 9 p.m. Absentee ballots are available by calling Sue Caronia, School District Clerk, at 716/483-4420. All qualified voters of the Jamestown School District may vote. For More Information, contact Tina Scott, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 484‐7135. Go to www.Prendergast.fundourlibraries.org.